Yountville next. Wandered around the shopping area - Joey had a good time at Bouchon Bakery. Joey also had a nice chat with the lady at the Girard tasting room.
The French Laundry
Wondered through The French Laundry's garden - at least 5 different types of onions, 4 different types of beets, carrots, leeks, strawberries, lettuces, herbs... oy!
Then there was dinner...
THE FRENCH LAUNDRY
Chef's Tasting Menu
May 13, 2009
- they also served little puff pastry balls filled with cream cheese and salmon tatare served up in cones filled with cream cheese too.
“OYSTERS AND PEARLS”
“Sabayon” of Pearl Tapioca with Island Creek Oysters and California Sturgeon Caviar
FRENCH LAUNDRY GARDEN VEGETABLES “À LA GRECQUE”
Morel Mushrooms, Cilantro Shoots and Lemon
- or -
MOULARD DUCK “FOIE GRAS EN TERRINE”
Balsamic Vinegar Glaze, Poached Field Rhubarb, Sicilian Pistachio, Red Ribbon Sorrel and Toasted Brioche
- we both chose the foie gras. More yum!
SAUTÉED FILLET OF LINE-CAUGHT BLACK BASS
Eggplant, Chickpeas, Sultana Raisins and Madras Curry Sauce
- or -
“CARPACCIO” OF ATLANTIC FLUKE
English Cucumber, Kanzuri, Perilla and White Sesame
- I got the bass and Joey got the carpaccio. Perilla is another name for shiso aka beefsteak. I thought the bass was tastier - the eggplant and chickpeas and raisins - very good together. Madras sauce was very light.
SWEET BUTTER-POACHED MAINE LOBSTER TAIL
Celery Branch, Red Radish, Green Almonds and Orange “Aigre-Doux”
- I took allergy meds and enjoyed the lobster. Very minor case of hives - it was worth it.
DEVIL’S GULCH RANCH “BOUDIN DE LAPIN”
Sunchokes, Burlatt Cherries, Watercress Leaves and Black Truffles from Provence
- or -
“ROUELLE DE TÊTE DE COCHON”
Golden Corn, San Marzano Tomato Compote and Scallion “Émincée”
- rabbit beats pig head.
SNAKE RIVER FARMS “CALOTTE DE BOEUF GRILLÉE”
Roasted Heart of Romaine Lettuce, “Pommes Maxim’s,” Horseradish Crème Fraîche and Red Beet Jus
- rib eye steak served medium rare. Seared with a delicious bunch of herbs, salt and pepper. YUM.
Granny Smith Apples, Walnuts, Belgian Endive and Parsley
- cheese good. apples too. endive was sort of weird.
ANDANTE DAIRY YOGURT SHERBET
Oatmeal “Sablé” and Royal Blenheim Apricot
- yogurt sherbet was very refreshing
“GÂTEAU AU CHOCOLAT AVEC BAVAROIS PRALINÉ”
Caramelized Gros Michel Bananas and Hazelnut Sorbet
- or -
“PARFAIT AU CITRON”
Candied Lemon, Biscotti Tuile and Lemon Snow
- chocolate of course - but because it was Joey's birthday, we were able to get the other chocolate dish from the Tasting of Vegetables menu too...
“BALLON DE CHOCOLAT FUMÉ”
Smoked Black Tea, “Glace à la Vanille” and Tonka Bean Caramel
- they poured a hot chocolate sauce over the ball and *poof* melted part of the shell to show off the ice cream and chocolate inside.
- chocolate covered macadamia nuts and a three tiered box of hand made sweets (marzipan, chocolates, yum)
While we were making our choices, Joey asked about the cookies which only appeared on the vegetable tastings menu. Our waiter, knowing it was Joey's birthday, promised him some of the cookies as a present to take home.
Not only were there two packages of cookies, there was a special package of birthday chocolate.
Wine... a glass of Reisling, a glass of Tokay and a half bottle of Hirsh 2006 Pinot Noir. All yum, but I think I liked the Reisling best of all.
The butter? Both the local almost cheese like and the one from Vermont's Animal Farm? A definite guilty pleasure.