Where was I when....
1. When John F. Kennedy was shot (11/22/1963)
I don't remember the actual shooting - I had just turned 3. What I remember is my mom being very sad and watching the funeral on the little black and white tv in the kitchen. I associate this with my grandpa's funeral the month prior. It's one of my earliest memories - probably because it was so emotionally charged. Everybody in my world was sad.
2. When Mt. St. Helens blew (5/18/1980)
I was in college and working full time. Between computer classes and work - I had no idea what was going on *grin*
3. When the space shuttle Challenger exploded (1/28/1986)
I was at home, scrubbing the kitchen floor. Tv was on - pretty exciting to have the first civilian and a teacher at that! on a flight. My excitement turned to horror as I watched the shuttle take off and then explode.
4. When the 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco (10/17/1989)
I was sitting on my bed, reading, waiting for the 3rd game of the Bay Bridge series (go Oakland!) Felt the earthquake start (no big deal, right?) and then it changed direction and kept going. Longest 15 seconds of my life. Listened to my bookshelf in the living room crash over, books falling, lladro statues breaking; watched as my dresser mirror fell over, hit the door and knock the door off its hinges. (amazingly, mirror did not break)
Carefully got off the bed, moved the door, and went over to the phone and called mom. Mom safe. Sisters safe. Checked on aunts. Went downstairs to check on landlady - not home. Talked to next door neighbor and we saw on tv the damaged bay bridge, the collapse of the cypress structure...
5. When the Gulf War began (1/16/1991)
Must have heard about it at work or on the radio.
6. When OJ Simpson was chased in his white Bronco (6/17/1994)
6a. When OJ Simpson was aquitted of murder (10/3/1995)
Radio - somebody at work had heard about it and we turned on the radio.
7. When the building in Oklahoma City was bombed (4/19/1995)
Radio or TV
8. When TWA Flight 800 exploded (7/17/1996)
Radio or TV
9. When Princess Di was killed (8/31/1997)
Heard it on news when I was driving home from some place.
10. When the Columbine massacre occured (4/20/1999)
Either heard it on the news, or saw it as on aol when I signed on.
11. When Bush was first announced President (11/7/2000)
The morning after.
12. When terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center (9/11/2001)
My alarm goes off at 6:15. Heard it on the radio as it was happening.
13. When the first 5 sniper victims were found dead (10/3/2002)
Must have been via radio or saw it as "top news story" on aol.